Part of the shift that is taking place currently in global mission is the sending of missionaries from the Majority World (Africa, Caribbean, Asia and South America) to Europe and North America. Often these missionaries are not well trained or prepared for the task of mission in Britain and other European countries. In addition, British indigenous Christians do not understand or have a good relationship with Christians from the South. The centre aims to help British indigenous Christians and Churches and Majority World pastors and missionaries work together in mission.
1. The aim of this centre is to prepare, equip and encourage pastors and missionaries from the Majority World in Britain and other parts of Europe to understand the post-modern secular context of European societies and culture.
2. A second objective is encouraging southern scholarship and publications through books, journals (Journal of Missionaries from the Majority World) and other forms of academic materials. This will be to develop a strong theology of mission that is practical and help the next generation of mission practitioners from the Majority World.
3. Another objective is helping British indigenous Christians and church leaders understand the mission and theology of Christians from the Majority World so as to improve relationships between both of them. Part of the learning will be to help British indigenous Christians understand the background of these missionaries.
4. The centre aims to help pastors and missionaries who are interested in church planting to find out where a church plant might be needed. This is to avoid several churches being planted in the same proximity. This will involve networking and research to make information available in terms of where churches, mission initiatives or projects might be best needed. This is to avoid competition and waste of resources that could be diverted to the right places at the right time.
5. The centre directors also act as mission consultant on Diaspora mission. The range of expertise within the team means that we can offer mission consultation on various aspect of Diaspora mission.